by Sara Lewis
This year we have been reminded each week at OUUC that “it’s about connection, not perfection”, and we’ve all been learning new ways to find that connection over distances and screens. One way the youth group has been staying connected is through online games, and they’ve found some good ones.
You all may wish to try some of these out for family and/or friend gatherings for your virtual holidays!
Games Tested and Approved by the Youth Group:
- Skribble.io is a drawing game a bit like pictionary, except that everyone guesses all at the same time.
- Another drawing game: Drawphone (tannerkrewson.com) This one is just like Telestrations, where you play a game of telephone with alternating drawings and guessing. There are “word packs” you can choose, but we DO NOT recommend the “immature” or “adult” word packs. In fact, we think it’s a lot more fun to play with the first word coming from one of the players.
- Scattergories is great online as well: Categories word game – play multiplayer, play free, play online (scattergoriesonline.net) And you can create your own categories here too, which makes it personalized and funny.
- For teams there is the guessing game “Codenames”, and this online version is pretty good: Codenames – Play with your Friends Online
- If you have a bit of money you’re willing to spend, we have enjoyed a mystery party on zoom. Playing with Murder has a variety of “30 minute Mysteries” and they work well online. 30 Minute Mysteries – Games – PlayingWithMurder.com
So gather your family or friends on zoom and give one of these a try. Have fun!