Last week several of us attended the Unitarian Universalist Association’s general Assembly, the annual and largest gathering of UU’s. This year’s virtual GA had thousands of people join from around the world. In addition to many wonderful worship services and workshops, here’s a summary of the work done at GA by the delegates from congregations.
There were UUA Bylaws changes adopted to give new UUA president’s time to transition into their new role, to shorten the timeline for campaigns for UUA president and moderator, to remove language naming the Religious Educator credentialing levels to allow for change, to modify the process for submitting Actions of Immediate Witness, and to remove the requirement that GA delegates pay a registration fee. All these discussions and decisions were done with equity and democracy in mind.
- Board of Trustees #3: Rev. Elizabeth Mount
- Board of Trustees #6: JeKaren Olaoya
- Board of Trustees #8: Rev. Sam Trumbore
- Commission on Appraisal: Adrian Graham
- Financial Advisor: Lucia Santini Field
- General Assembly Planning Committee: Chelsea Surfus
- Nominating Committee: Tim Atkins, Rev. Danielle Di Bona, cristy cardinal
Delegates adopted the Responsive Resolutions
The General Assembly affirmed these Actions of Immediate Witness:
- Defend and Advocate with Transgender, Nonbinary, and Intersex Communities (PDF)
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Justice. Healing. Courage (PDF)
- Stop Voter Suppression and Partner for Voting Rights and a Multiracial Democracy (PDF)
The Statement of Conscience (SOC): Undoing Intersectional White Supremacy (PDF) was adopted.
The Actions of Immediate Witness and Statement of Conscience ask UUs to take action, especially in the areas of anti-racism and building the beloved community. How we do this at OUUC is open for discussion. Let’s talk!
Blessings on your week.
P.S. If you are interested in watching the public events from GA, you can access the recordings here. They include many wonderful worship services, the business meetings, and the 201st Berry Street Essay from the UU Minister’s Association.