Raise Your Voice for the Environment!
The state legislature is in session for 60 days and they have several environmental bills up for consideration. Let your legislators know what you think! Below are some background materials from some environmental organizations and the media for you to look over.
Here is a list of the bills discussed and considered a priority by the Thurston Climate Action Team (TCAT) during a meeting on electrification last week:
• Net-zero carbon emissions on new building construction HB 1770
• Expansion of building energy performance standards HB 1774
• Targeted electrification by incentives to switch homes from fossil fuels to electric HB 1767
• Clean Heat Act affecting gas company emissions HB 1766
• Make all State buildings energy efficient HB 1280
• Budget for the Weatherization + Health Program
For more details, here is the recording of the TCAT meeting.
The Olympian newspaper had a brief discussion of several of these bills and others with alternatives from Republican legislators.
Besides energy, bills concerning growth management and land use are also Washington Environmental Council climate priorities can be found here.
Contact information for your state representatives and senators are provided by the League of Women Voters here.
Climate change is an economic, public health, and environmental issue that we have a moral responsibility to address.
– Brad Schneider