We’re coming to the end of September and our “Reduce Your Fossil Fuel Footprint” Challenge! We hope you have downloaded the spreadsheet and kept track of home and transportation energy use. If you haven’t, there’s still time to send in your scores by October 8!
Our October Challenge is: Reduce Food Waste!
Consider the following:
• Globally, about 8% of greenhouse gases are from the food that is wasted.
• In the US, food waste creates more greenhouse gases than the airline industry.
• One-third of the food grown for people in the US is never consumed.
• 37% of the food waste happens in the home – that comes to about $1600/yr for the average household
• Another 28% of food waste happens in grocery stores and restaurants
Reducing our food waste at home can be accomplished by changing how we shop, store, prepare and serve food. Thurston County Solid Waste Department has a pamphlet with great tips on how to change our food buying, storing, and eating habits to reduce waste.
Check it out and download our October spreadsheet to participate in the October Challenge!
It is easy to participate:
Check out the new challenge every month.
Track your environmental actions in the tracking sheet located here. (If you need a refresher on how to fill it out, you can find instructions here.)
At the end of the month, send the scanned sheet or its Google link to us (we will remind you).
We will let you know who won the prizes for the month.