Membership: A Journey of Commitment at Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation
Membership in a Unitarian Universalist congregation is both simple and challenging. It is easy to sign the Membership Book. It is challenging because of what this simple act means: that a person has made a decision to join a Unitarian Universalist faith community that is searching for truth, working for justice, and whose members would live in loving relationship with one another. Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation (OUUC) welcomes members who seek to participate in religious community and are willing to give freely of their time, talents, and financial resources toward the fulfillment of our congregation’s mission. As OUUC members, we support the congregation’s mission because this congregation is our chosen spiritual home.
Membership is understood as a matter of covenant among people. A covenant is a promise to stand together with other members of one’s UU community in a relationship of mutual respect and support. Agreeing to the covenant means taking one’s own personal religious journey seriously in community with others, and working together in commitment and community toward a common vision. Unitarian Universalists practice congregational polity which means each congregation is self-governing. Each congregation is self-sustaining: each member freely and thoughtfully makes a financial contribution to the congregation. OUUC seeks members committed to their own growth and to the values of this congregation. Membership in OUUC confers certain benefits and privileges. Only members may vote to approve the annual budget, to elect the Board of Trustees, and to call a minister. OUUC also welcomes the voice of friends (active participants who have not chosen membership and cannot vote) at congregational meetings. Membership means being part of a congregation made up of kindred spirits among whom all feel safe, welcomed, and respected.
Steps to Membership at Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation:
- Attend Sunday services to get to know the OUUC community.
- Attend the New UU Inquirer’s Series (as many of them as you are able to attend). These are currently offered on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month at 10am, in person at OUUC. Register Here
- Optionally, meet with either Rev Mary or Rev Sara to discuss what membership means to you and have your questions answered.
- Complete membership forms (which you will receive after you complete the class series or meet with Rev Mary)
- Make a pledge of ongoing financial support based on individual circumstances. Guidelines are available and discussion with the minister is welcomed.
- Be welcomed as a new member in a worship service and sign the OUUC Membership Book.
Journey with Us! Although the members of our community may have begun their spiritual journeys in very different places, each has arrived at Olympia UU Congregation.