This position has been filled.
OUUC is seeking a part-time Office Assistant as the second of two positions that will assume the work of Darlene Sarkela, church administrator when she retires in February.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Part-Time Professional-Office Assistant
Job Title: Office Assistant
Status: Part-Time, 18 hrs/wk.
Reports to: OUUC Business Manager
Pay Rate:$20.00-$21.20/hr with paid time off
To Be Filled: 2/1/24
Overview: The Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation (OUUC) envisions a world that is loving, just and healthy. We seek to support the spiritual growth of all people by providing opportunities for connection, growth, and service. We seek to be inviting and inclusive, bringing the life-saving message of Unitarian Universalism into the world.
Purpose: The Office Assistant is the primary presence in the OUUC office 4 days per week and often the first point of contact for visitors, congregants, and incoming phone calls. They provide administrative support to OUUC’s ministries by supporting the staff and congregation, maintaining membership and financial records, and internal communications.
Staff and congregation support
− Welcome and direct visitors as the first point of contact at the church.
− Be physically present and available in the church administrative office 4 days per week.
− Provide administrative support to staff, congregants, and the OUUC Board of Trustees, as needed.
− Answer, screen, and transfer (as appropriate) all incoming phone calls/voice messages, resolving or delegating as appropriate.
− Respond to and resolve administrative inquiries that come in through email or through the church website.
− Manage the day-to-day usage of the facilities and act as the main point of contact for routine and major maintenance needs for the building and its grounds.
− Coordinate and schedule the use of space/rooms throughout the building. Maintain the calendar of room reservations.
− Manage building rentals, including consideration of property tax exemption rules.
− Provide administrative support to various OUUC fundraisers and committees (including: stewardship campaign, …)
− Administrator for office support applications: Realm, Office 365, Divvy, Clergy Financial, and MightyCall. *responsibility may be shared
− Be an active member of the Association of UU Administrators
Maintain membership and financial records
− Manage the church offering collected each week and other incoming charitable giving (including: receiving, totaling, recording/reporting, and deposit).
− Process the necessary payment of bills (including: monitoring payables, processing payment in a timely manner, recording/reporting, and mailing payment).
− Maintain and carry out routine financial procedures, including entering payments in the accounting system, working with the bookkeeper to insure that all expenditures are properly categorized.
− Maintain congregational records, paying special attention to the confidentiality of the information.
− Maintain membership and pledging records, paying special attention to the confidentiality of the information.
Internal communications support
− Produce and publish the weekly electronic updates and notices.
− Provide backup for other internal communications (including: The Spark, basic website updates, and Orders of Service)
Position Requirements: – Understand and affirm Unitarian Universalist purposes, principles, sources, history, and traditions
– Knowledge of and/or ability to learn basic office functions, such as phone systems, customer service etiquette, email communication, copying, mail, banking, etc.
– Knowledge of and/or ability to learn electronic communications software for producing newsletters, orders of service, recordings, blog posts, etc.
– Technology proficiency (including, but not limited to: PC hardware & software, phone system, Office 365, Realm, YouTube, Zoom) and ability to learn new systems as needed
– Ability and willingness to learn new computer software and hardware
– Able to be onsite several times per week (at least 4 days/week, including Sundays)
– Consistent and reliable internet access to stay connected when working remotely
– Consistently pass an initial and periodic criminal background checks
*OUUC employees work a flexible work week, so hours will vary over the course of a week and from week to week. The Office Assistant must have the ability to work both on-site and off-site as determined by the congregation’s needs and in collaboration with the Business Manager, coworkers, and volunteers. Work hours will include weekend and evening hours, with Sunday morning hours expected weekly. Work hours also include some holidays such as Christmas Eve and Easter. Benefits include paid time off as it is accrued.
– Calm and professional demeanor
– Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills: including relationship building, group dynamics and problem resolution
– Respectfully and professionally work collegially with other professionals and leaders in the congregation, including individuals of diverse identities, backgrounds, and personalities
– Adaptable and flexible in changing situations
– Able to confidently make decisions within their authority
– Customer service focus
– Excellent planning and organizational skills
– Detail oriented
– Self-directed, works well independently
– Ability to work with and support volunteers
– Personal Development Initiative: recognize and prioritize the importance of continuing education, professional growth, and self-care
– Patience and understanding while working with people who have varying comfort and skill levels with technology
– Be able to set appropriate boundaries and not take conflict personally
– Professionalism when dealing with confidential information, records, and data.
OUUC affirms its commitment to equal employment opportunity for all individuals. Decisions about recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, compensation, benefits, and all similar employment decisions will be made in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law. Any discrimination in the workplace based upon any protected classification is illegal and against policy. As a religious organization, OUUC reserves the right to require that employees not engage in religious practices antithetical to the Unitarian Universalist Association.
Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org