The Communications Specialist reports to the minister.
This is a part-time position of 10-12 hours per week. OUUC employees work a flexible work week, so hours will vary.
This is a non-exempt position.
The salary range for this position is $20-22 per hour and it is paid hourly.
This position does not supervise other paid staff but does supervise volunteers.
The Communications Specialist collaborates with and supports all ministry areas by facilitating and enhancing the communication, outreach, and virtual ministry of OUUC to make the congregation’s mission real in the world by working toward shared goals (also called Ends). OUUC seeks to support the spiritual growth of all people by providing opportunities for connection, growth, and service. We seek to be inviting and inclusive, bringing the life-saving message of Unitarian Universalism into the world. Communications include written, verbal, published, recorded and virtual.
- Help define the overall electronic communications strategy for the church, including print, website, recordings, and social media.
- Produce the weekly Spark and collaborate on the weekly update (newsletter).
- Produce Orders of Service weekly for Sunday worship and for other events as needed (such as memorial services).
- Produce graphics for Sunday worship and other events.
- Coordinate and ensure on-going format and content maintenance and updates on the OUUC website.
- Provide website training for staff and congregants as needed.
- Develop the OUUC social media ministry, which may include developing and supporting a volunteer team.
- Coordinate with Director of Community and Faith Development regarding outreach and visitor welcome.
- Assist with OUUC branding, including maintaining and supporting access to the images that identify OUUC, such as the logo.
- Provide Communiations support and advice to the major OUUC fundraisers and events as they are in development.
- May assist with the creation and editing of slide shows and video recordings for the worship service, celebrations of life, website, and social media, and help build this capacity in the staff and congregation.
- Assist the minister and other ministry leaders with budget development for technical and communications needs.
- Other responsibilities mutually agreed upon with the minister/supervisor.
Qualities, Characteristics and Skills:
- Understand and affirm Unitarian Universalist purposes, principles, sources, history, and traditions.
- Demonstrate skill in interpersonal relations and group dynamics.
- Ability to work with people across the spectrum of comfort with and knowledge of technology and social media.
- Ability to work well with individuals of diverse identities, backgrounds, and personalities.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collegially with other professionals and leaders in the congregation.
- Show personal warmth and a non-anxious, pastoral presence.
- Be self-motivated, well-organized, good with details and able to follow through with and delegate responsibilities.
- Be able to set appropriate boundaries and not take conflict personally.
- Recognize and prioritize the importance of continuing education, professional growth, and self-care.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn and use technology (hardware and software), such as a computer and phone, Office 365, Realm, WordPress, YouTube, Zoom, and social media.
- Knowledge of streaming software and hardware, sound equipment, editing software, and software that supports creativity a plus (such as Canva, iMovie, Vimeo, Padlet, PowerPoint)
- Ability to stay connected while working remotely.
- Pass an initial and regular criminal background check.
- Ability and willingness to learn new software and hardware.
- Able to use technology like a computer, phone, etc. The position requires extended computer use.
- The Communications Specialist works both on-site and off-site as determined by the congregation’s needs and in collaboration with the supervisor, coworkers, and volunteers.
- Work hours that may include weekend and evening hours.
OUUC affirms its commitment to equal employment opportunity for all individuals. Decisions about recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, compensation, benefits, and all similar employment decisions will be made in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification protected by law. Any discrimination in the workplace based upon any protected classification is illegal and against policy. As a religious organization, OUUC reserves the right to require that employees not engage in religious practices antithetical to the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The salary is $20-22 per hour depending on skills and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.