If emails often feel like the bane of your existence, you’re not alone: many studies estimate working professionals receive an average of 121 emails per day. Combined with personal inboxes, that number may be much higher. And even apart from email communication, we are experiencing an extreme level of information overload or saturation, which can lead to fatigue and apathy. (Not to mention there’s currently a global pandemic and a variable level of trauma impacting nearly everything we do.)
Given all these factors, some irritation and weariness surrounding email communication is perfectly understandable.
While we can’t regulate the whole barrage of emails you receive, we can help you better understand what emails and communication you can expect from OUUC, in the hope that this eases some of the confusion–or dread–associated with seeing another message in your inbox. Read on for a list of the types of emails and newsletters coming from OUUC.
- OUUC Weekly Update: This newsletter comes out weekly, on Tuesdays. The Weekly Update is your source for all news and information related to OUUC gatherings, functions, events, services, etc. This is sent to our mailing list, which includes around 700 subscribers–members and nonmembers alike. Darlene Sarkela, Church Administrator, compiles this. The email sender is listed as Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation.
- OUUC Children and Youth Weekly: Anissa Bentlemsani, Religious Education Assistant, compiles this weekly newsletter. It is sent to families with children who are enrolled in OUUC’s religious education program. Distributed on Wednesdays, this newsletter contains news and events pertaining to OUUC families and youth.
- OUUC Spark!: This is another weekly newsletter which comes out on Thursdays. The Spark! is a brief publication with messages of inspiration and wisdom from Rev. Mary, Sara Lewis, and others, intended to offer a mid-week boost through our shared UU values and principles. It can often can include art or poetry by congregants. This is sent to our mailing list, which includes around 700 subscribers–members and nonmembers alike. Jo Sahlin, Media Specialist, compiles this. The email sender is listed as Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation.
- OUUC Pathways: Pathways is a monthly newsletter sent on or around the 25th of each month. Sara Lewis, Director of Religious Education, compiles this publication related to adult education events and opportunities happening at OUUC. This is sent to our mailing list, which includes around 700 subscribers–members and nonmembers alike. The email sender is listed as Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation.
- OUUC Announcements: Announcements are sent sporadically, as needed, via Realm. They are sent to the News and Announcements group in Realm, which is made up of around 400 subscribers: members, pledgers, and those who have expressed an interest in more connection with the community by requesting to be listed in the directory. The News and Announcements list is used to notify individuals of things like the death of a member. It is also used for sending links to worship services and for special announcements (invitations to surveys, for example). Generally, OUUC Announcements come from either Rev. Mary or Darlene Sarkela.
- Other communication through Realm: Depending on your groups and email settings, you may receive other communication sent through Realm. These may be sent by group leaders or members. Groups with Realm communication include the Virtual Bulletin Board, a committee, team, or social group. You can manage your individual notifications and email settings for these messages in Realm.
In this time of virtual involvement, we have heard the need for connection and communication loud and clear. OUUC Staff members work hard to bring you news and information–plus inspiration to support spiritual growth and grounding in the UU faith tradition. Please let us know if you have any requests or recommendations to help with these efforts!
You can email Jo Sahlin at email@example.com or Darlene Sarkela at firstname.lastname@example.org.